dinsdag, april 05, 2005

Tell all the truth but tell it slant--
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth’s superb surprise
As lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind--

--Emily Dickinson


Some very interesting photos of Slavoj Žižek's miserable, hungover wedding. via The Valve.

Now here is something funny. Is it surprising that the Pope isn't just another one of the in crowd of those bloody "people"?

Ever wonder who the Pope of Dope was and where he hung out?

David Byrne Radio for the "odd variety" of music playing in (his?) office. Pshaw. I'd rather listen to Destination Unknown Radio.

Now that the old one is exiled to Iceland perhaps it's time to consider The Next Bobby Fischer. via One Good Move.

The whole "next Bobby Fischer" thing makes me wonder what he's doing in Iceland these days and then made me wonder what it might be like to read a blog written by the man himself. Well, there isn't one perse but in the search, I came across Bobby Fischer's letter to Ambassador Thordur Oskarsson, Icelandic Embassy in Tokyo, Japan asking for political asylum in Iceland, dated October 27, 2004. Send in the handwriting analysts!

Mitch Hedberg is dead but here are some quotes he left behind:

Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load shit into a truck.

I got my hair highlighted, because I felt some strands were more important than others.

I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Boy, you really like Tide."

At my hotel room, my friend came over and asked to use the phone. I said "Certainly." He said "Do I need to dial 9?" I say "Yeah. Especially if it's in the number. You can try four and five back to back real quick."

The thing about tennis is: no matter how much I play, I'll never be as good as a wall. I played a wall once. They're fucking relentless.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."


Here's a novelty: Find of the Week really IS the find of the week.

Like this

via the links of Left Blank.

*****

I LIKE AMERICANS
Ernest Miller Hemingway

By A Foreigner

I like Americans.
They are so unlike Canadians.
They do not take their policemen seriously.
They come to Montreal to drink.
Not to criticize.
They claim they won the war.
But they know at heart that they didn't.
They have such respect for Englishmen.
They like to live abroad.
They do not brag about how they take baths.
But they take them.
Their teeth are so good.
And they wear B.V.D.'s all the year round.
I wish they didn't brag about it.
They have the second best navy in the world.
But they never mention it.
They would like to have Henry Ford for president.
But they will not elect him.
They saw through Bill Bryan.
They have gotten tired of Billy Sunday.
Their men have such funny hair cuts.
They are hard to suck in on Europe.
They have been there once.
They produced Barney Google, Mutt and Jeff.
And Jiggs.
They do not hang lady murderers.
They put them in vaudeville.
They read the Saturday Evening Post
And believe in Santa Claus.
When they make money
They make a lot of money.
They are fine people.

Geen opmerkingen: